Have you ever known someone who cannot wear earrings? There are many women (and men) who are unable to wear certain kinds of jewelry. That’s because they are actually allergic to the metal!
Symptoms can include irritation, redness, dry skin and rashes.
Usually this is only from cheap or impure jewelry, but reactions can occur in many types of metal. The only option for these people is to wear jewelry made with what is called ‘hypoallergenic’ metals.
What are Hypoallergenic Metals?
You may have heard the term used before with lotions or makeup, and the meaning is the same here. Hypoallergenic metals do not irritate the skin – they are considered inert as far as interacting with your skin is concerned. If you have sensitive skin or a history of allergic reactions with metals it’s important to know what are safe choices, especially for wedding and engagement bands which will be worn continuously.
Which metals are hypoallergenic?
Metals which are used in jewelry and considered hypoallergenic include:
- Tungsten Carbide
- Yellow Gold (the more pure the better)
Note that this is a sliding scale, not absolutes. Even sterling silver and stainless steel have caused reactions in some highly sensitive people. Your best bet if you have allergies is to pick from the most hypoallergenic metals as often as you can. Also, whenever possible choose a vendor that has a return policy so that if you find your jewelry is problematic after a few weeks you can still return it.